Gas Safety Certificate

If you are a landlord letting a property equipped with gas appliances, you need to understand and comply with the law relating to gas safety. If you let a property to tenants, you must make sure all aspects of the gas system in the property are maintained in a safe condition. These include:

  • All gas pipework
  • All gas appliances, such as a boiler and a gas hob
  • The flue

It is your responsibility to ensure the property has a full gas safety check every year. A Gas Safe registered engineer must carry out the safety check in each of your properties (if you rent out more than one).

You must also ensure your tenants receive a copy of the gas safety record pertaining to the property within 28 days of the check being carried out or before they move in. You are also obliged to show your tenants how they can turn off the gas supply in the event of a gas leak.

Annual checks

As a landlord, you are legally responsible for making sure a Gas Safe registered engineer checks the gas appliances in your rental properties every 12 months. They must also give you copies of the gas safety records.

Gas safety records

When your Gas Safe registered engineer has checked the gas appliances in your rental property, they will give you a gas safety record. This record confirms the gas appliances have been checked and are safe to use. You must then give your tenant a copy of the records within 28 days of those checks being completed. If a new tenant is moving in, you must give them a copy of the records prior to them moving into the property.

Each record of a gas safety check must be kept safe for a minimum of two years.